We have had a wet and stormy weekend in Perth. After a few weeks of trialling samples for my latest work, Sunday was the perfect day to stay indoors and get on with it!
Over a month ago I cut out these paper doilies whilst watching TV. Simply cutting, not with any great consideration to the result, just playing. They sat pinned to the design board for a few weeks and then I have trialled printing, stamping, reworking, stitching, redrawing. On Friday I dyed a batch of fabrics to bring the colours to something tonally similar. I used a dylon multipurpose dye as some are silks, some blends of other things.This image doesn’t show the full range of fabrics I dyed. Some were strong pinks and bright greens. The error in photography after the event… A final six motifs were planned and initially printed. A little more refining and stitching and I decided to use the two strongest motifs only. I printed about 100 of these motifs in just over an hour. While I was cleaning up the screens in the laundry, I noticed some colour on this stormy grey day. The last of the leaves of our neighbour’s Chinese Tallow Tree and an orange creeper. The greens in our own backyard were also more vibrant, not washed out by the sun. Then the sun came out…Stunning, glistening, autumn leaves. After the stormy night I am sure there are very few leaves left on the tree now.There was more vivid orange in our lentil soup cooking on the stove as I printed. What a contrast to my fabric choice!