“Blossom” is finished ready for delivery tomorrow.It has been a fun and fast process. Below are the last few stages making the garment.
Placement of the flower motifs, both on the corset and possibly skirt.Length of the skirt. I really like the batik border, unfortunately there isn’t quite enough fabric in length and most sections the full width of the pattern is missing due to the cut out of the original shirt. I’ve trialled placements of the flower motifs on the skirt, including smaller ones from the scrap fabric. There just aren’t enough of them and even though the border complements the garment, I don’t feel the half width border is strong enough. I feel keeping the skirt plain and simple will best highlight the corset and therefore the fairly fashionable? fabrics.Whilst thinking about this I finish the corset with a lacing made from the skirt lining fabric. I quite like the lacing starting from the centre front of the corset. (It can also add a level of security! – not that the corset will move as there is plastic boning and lacing holding it up)I also considering making another necklace like this one I made from CDs for another garment. The colour matches beautifully. It’s a case of necklace or front lacing though…I’ve increased the number of lacings. It looks better, although a lot more time consuming for the model to dress and undress.Stitching the flower motifs with colonial knots A little reminder of what I started with –
FRIDAY April 24th 2015
Doors open 6.30pm, show starts 7pm
Victoria Hall, 179 High Street, Fremantle
$20 in advance (click below) | $25 on the door
The challenge culminates on Fashion Revolution Day, April 24th www.fashionrevolution.org.
April 24th marks the first anniversary of the Rana Plaza factory disaster in Dhaka Bangladesh, where 1133 lives were lost (with many hundreds more injured) – with devastating long-lasting effects on families and friends