The Colour Project: August Green

This is the eighth instalment of The Colour Project 10 years on.

In August I decided to go green – reuse, recycle, rework, repurpose and upcycle. I only used what I already had in the studio. The stash of dyed and printed bits, leftovers from other projects, pieces made at workshops and then left in the cupboard. The result was lots of printing – Gelli Plate, stamping, screen printing ,discharge, breakdown printing, batik..

Breakdown or deconstruction printing

Hand stitch on pieces previously transfer printed. Silk dupoin and transfer printed polyester circles on hand dyed woolScrunch layer dyeing in a jar. Small pieces of fabric squashed into a jar with dye added with each layer of fabric
deColourant paste stamped onto commercially dyed silk to discharge (remove colour)deColourant on hand dyed silk and cottonsPreviously stamp printed pieces cut out and stitched onto felt
Previously dyed doily woven with strips of scrunch dyed silk habutai

Original gelatine print – added Shiva Paint Stick texture rubbing (second image)Original Gelatine print, with added bubble wrap print, then Shiva Stick
Gelatine plate shadow print (AKA the second print)
With added stamps using corks, wood blocks and foam shapes
Gelatine print using plastic lace doily
With chalk pastelsVarious previously dyed and transfer printed fabrics over printed with doilies
Handmade stampsCeramic tiles used as rubbing plates
Remnant pieces from previous works heat fixed on satin
Added hand stitch
Soy Wax – melts at a much lower temperature than traditional batik wax and then washes out in hot soapy water. The wax was applied with Tjanting and paint brush blobs
Fork prong tips and a wooden block

Wooden blocks above and below
ForkMetal scone cutter
Wooden block
Blocks, corks on cotton sheeting
Fork prongs on fine silkWooden stamp on fine silk
Reassembled photo prints on cotton
Deconstruction prints hand coloured with chalks
and hand stitched

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *